header logo

Choose a language for this website

Open Mobile Menu

Applying for Federal Benefits

Ukrainian humanitarian parolees are immediately eligible for federal benefits such as:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, often referred to as “Food Stamps”)
  • Cash Assistance (this could be Refugee Cash Assistance if the newly arrived person is an adult without children, or RIWorks for adults with children. RIWorks also helps prepare for and find employment)
  • Medicaid (health insurance)
  • Child Care Assistance

People apply for federal benefits through the Rhode Island Department of Human Services. Ukrainian arrivals have documentation that is different from other immigrant groups, and so we are urging Ukrainians and their sponsors to follow this process as they apply for federal benefits:

  • Download a hard copy of the DHS-2 Application for Assistance. This can be found on this webpage: Apply for DHS Benefits
  • Complete the application, place it in an envelope along with the necessary documents (see below), mark it “Attention: Darlene Ortega,” and bring it to a nearby Department of Human Services Field Office (for locations, see: DHS Offices)

Be sure that the following documents are included with the application:

  • Immigration documents
  • Social Security Cards if applicant has it
  • Proof of any income the applicant is receiving and/or funds being received from other agencies
  • Proof of residence